(Click to see the different types of essays.)
- The paper will always start with a cover or title page. This is that first page of the essay that normally has the title of your essay, your name, your faculty and so on. The format allows for variety in terms of what else you can add on this page.
- The next page will be the abstract. The abstract is a brief overview of the contents of your essay. Here you will give the main points of your essay in brief. Some people will follow the abstract with the introduction depending on the length of your essay. The abstract gives the reader the gist of what will be discussed in the following sections of your essay.
- You will then have the main body of your essay. This is where you now get into presenting and arguing out your ideas. The body should be subdivided into sub sections depending on the length of your essay paper. If you have a short essay, there is no point of subdividing it into very many parts.
- Your essay must have a conclusion. This could be a short recap of the main ideas discussed in your paper. Depending on the length of the essay, you can decide to have a conclusion at the end of every chapter.
- The essay must also have a reference page. This list is sometimes referred to as the bibliography. It normally contains the list of the academic sources you referred to while you were carrying out research for your essay.